Truck Wreck Accidents in Texas: Causes and Alarming Statistics
Texas has one of the highest rates of fatal truck wreck accidents in the United States. With its vast network of interstates and highways, a booming oil and gas industry, and high volume of commercial trucking, Texas sees far more than its fair share of devastating truck wreck accidents each year.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a truck wreck accident in Texas, you need to understand the common causes of these crashes and the severity of the problem statewide. At Armstrong Law, PLLC, our truck wreck accident attorneys have decades of experience helping injury victims recover the compensation they deserve.
Common Causes of Truck Crashes in Texas
While every truck wreck accident is unique in its details, most share similarities when it comes to causes and contributing factors. The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) and the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles, attribute some of the most common truck wreck accident causes to factors such as:
– Driver fatigue – Drowsy or sleep deprived truckers cause countless truck wreck accidents in Texas each year. Truck drivers may drive long shifts and fail to take federally mandated rest breaks.
– Speeding – Trucks require much longer stopping distances than passenger vehicles. Excessive speed greatly increases the risks of a serious or fatal accident.
– Impaired driving – Drug use and alcohol abuse are problems in the trucking industry. Intoxicated truck drivers endanger everyone on the road.
– Distracted driving – Truckers face numerous potential distractions including cell phones, onboard computers, paperwork, and eating/drinking.
– Improperly loaded cargo – Unbalanced or shifting cargo loads can cause trucks to overturn or jackknife. Loose cargo also poses a hazard to other motorists if debris spills onto the road.
– Mechanical failures – Worn brakes, defective tires, and other equipment problems can cause trucks to lose control and crash. Trucking companies must perform regular maintenance and repairs.
Alarming Texas Truck Accident Statistics
Some key statewide statistics give a sense of the dangers posed by large trucks:
– In 2022, 32% of truck wreck accidents nationwide resulted in an injury. This means that out of 166,833 truck wreck accidents, 54,172 resulted in harm. In the same year, Texas experienced 38,621 commercial vehicle crashes.
– In 2020, 613 people died in truck crashes in Texas. Thousands more suffered severe injuries such as traumatic brain injuries, spinal cord damage, and amputations.- Texas consistently ranks #1 or #2 among all states in both truck accident fatalities and injuries.
– Over 150,000 truck wreck accidents occurred in the state between 2015-2019 according to federal data.
– The annual cost of truck crashes in Texas exceeds $6 billion per the 2022 Texas Motor Vehicle Crash Facts report.
Legal Help for Truck Accident Victims
The experienced truck crash accident lawyers at Armstrong Law, PLLC understand the challenges injury victims face when bringing claims against trucking companies and drivers. We have the resources and aggressive strategies to build strong cases and pursue maximum compensation for lost wages, medical expenses, pain and suffering, and wrongful death damages.
If you or a loved one has been harmed in a Texas truck wreck, contact our attorneys today for a free consultation. We can help you recover and move forward during this difficult time.